Acetylcystein: 200 mg
Lactose, Aspartam, orange flavoring agent, Sunset yellow, PEG 6000 q.s for 1 sachet
Besamux is used to dilute respiratory mucus, and is prescribed for cases of respiratory mucus disorder:
- Sinusitis, pharyngitis
- Acute and chronic bronchitis
- Clear the respiratory system in case of opening windpipe
- Children under 2 years old
- Urinary phenylketonuria
- Oversensitive to acetylcystein
Adverse Drug Reactions (ADR) and how to deal with them:
- Acetylcystein has a wide safe range. Even though it is rare to see clear clinical bronchospasm due to acetylcystein, it can still happens for medicine containing acetylcystein.
- Usual (ADR > 1/100): nausea, vomiting
- Unusual (1/1000 < ADR < 1/100): sleepy, headache, tinnitus. Stomatitis, prolonged runny nose. Rash, urticaria.
- Rare (ADR < 1/1000): bronchospasm alongside systemic anaphylaxis reactions. Fever, ague
Treatment for ADR:
- Use diluted acetylcystein solution can decrease the probability of vomiting due to the medicine
- Treat systemic anaphylaxis reactions immediately by injecting under the skin adrenalin (0.3 – 0.5 ml of 1/1000 solution), breath 100% oxygen, set up endotracheal if needed, inject IV fluids to increase serum volume, inhale beta – adrenalin in case of bronchospasm, inject into veins 500 mg hydrocortisone or 125 mg methylprednisolone.
- Children from 2 to 7 years old: 1 sachet/time, 2 times/day
- Adult and children over 7: 1 sachets/time, 3 times/day
- Mix medicine with half a glass of water
Notice during use:
- Coughing is a basic mechanism to protect lungs and therefore should be understood
- Be careful for patients with stomach or duodenal ulcers.
- Patients with asthma or history of allergy
Use in Pregnancy or lactating women
- During pregnancy: research on animals shown that the medicine does not cause teratogenic. However, these data should not be extrapolated on humans
- During breastfeeding: avoid using this medicine due to lack of research
Effects of drug on driving or use machines:
- None recorded
Overdose and how to treat:
- Acetylcystein overdose happens when injection occurs to fast and with too high a dose
+ Symptoms: similar to symptoms of anaphylaxis, but more severe, especially the drop in blood pressure. Others include: respiratory failure, blood depletion, intravascular scattered coagulations, kidney failure
- Treatment: treating the symptoms
- This medicine reduces the viscosity of respiratory system mucus by splitting the disulfua connection in mucoprotein and makes it easier to eject sputum through coughing or mechanical means
- After taking, acetylcystein is quickly absorbed in the digestive system and got its acetyl reduced by liver to turn into cysteine.
- The medicine reaches peak in serum after about 0.5 – 1 hour after taking. Kidney clearance rate takes up 30% of clearance rate in the whole body
Shelf-life: 36 months from production date
Do not use beyond the date on packaging
Storage: Keep in a dry place, at temperature not above 30oC, protect from light.
Specification: Standard of manufacturer